I think any guy who suffers from plantar fasciitis will agree with me when I say that it can be a real pain in the… well, heel.
(And I hope every guy, whether they have plantar fasciitis or not, will forgive me for that exceptionally lame pun.)
A common cause of heel pain for men, plantar fasciitis causes sharp stabbing pains in your heel.
Even worse, the pain usually starts as soon as you take your first few steps each morning, which can make it hard to motivate yourself to get out of bed in the morning.
And while the pain tends to decrease after that, it can come back with a vengeance if you spend a lot of time on your feet, or even when you stand up for the first time after sitting for a long stretch.
While this blog is dedicated to helping guys dress better, I also know you can’t look good if you don’t feel good.
For guys who have plantar fasciitis, pain relief and support are primary, and style is (quite understandably) a secondary concern.
So to compile my list of the best men’s shoes for plantar fasciitis I’ve rounded up a list of shoes that should help your heel hurt less, but will still keep you looking as polished as possible.
The (Absolute) Best Plantar Fasciitis Shoes for Men
The Best Men’s Running Shoes for Plantar Fasciitis
Looking for the best sneakers for plantar fasciitis? Look no further.
Running is a common cause of plantar fasciitis, which makes it especially insidious.
Running can be one of those things that becomes addictive (in a good way).
That means that the guys who develop plantar fasciitis from running are the same guys who are most likely to keep running even after it starts causing them pain.
Whether or not you can continue running after being diagnosed with plantar fasciitis is a conversation you need to have your doctor.
But if you do get the green light from your doc, chances are high that he’ll recommend a special pair of shoes that provides extra support to reduce pain and risk of further injury.
I’ve rounded up a few strong options below, but again: definitely check with your doctor before running!
Asics Men’s GEL-Kayano Running Shoes
New Balance Men’s 990v5
Saucony Men’s Cohesion 11 Running Shoe
New Balance Men’s Mx608v4
Asics Gel Venture 6
The Best Men’s Walking Shoes for Plantar Fasciitis
Whether you’re strolling for exercise or just to go about your daily business, the good news is that walking is a lot less punishing than running.
The bad news is that when you have plantar fasciitis, even walking can be painful.
The shoes below provide more padding than the standard walking shoe, which should make getting around easier, and hopefully a little more comfortable.
Wolf & Shepherd SwiftKnit™ Derby
Snibbs Spacecloud Work Sneaker
Brooks Men’s Addiction Walker Walking Shoes
HOKA ONE ONE Mens Clifton 5 Walking Shoe
Saucony Mens Grid Omni Walker Walking Shoe
Gravity Defyer Proven Pain Relief Men’s G-Defy Mighty Walk
Skechers Men’s Go Walk Max-54601 Sneaker
The Best Men’s Dress Shoes for Plantar Fasciitis
Normally I tend to recommend dress shoes that have a streamlined design and sleek toe shape (similar to Beckett Simonon’s oxfords).
In my opinion, streamlined shoes offer the most stylish and classically masculine silhouette.
But as I mentioned at the top, when you have a condition like plantar fasciitis, pain relief and support come first, and style comes a distant second when it comes to shoes.
Fortunately, you don’t have to forego style entirely.
While you might not achieve quite the same sleekness as with regular dress shoes, there are a number of brands offering comfortable options that will still look right at home when you’re wearing a suit or stylish get-up.
Wolf & Shepherd Crossover™ Wingtip
Johnston & Murphy XC4® Elkins Wingtip
Apex Lexington Strap Loafer
Cole Haan Men’s Morris Wing Oxfords
Propét Men’s Grady Dress Ankle Boot
Drew Essex – Men’s Dress Shoe
Dunham Men’s Clyde Plain Toe Oxford
Rockport Men’s Shakespeare Circle Penny Loafer
Rockport Men’s Essential Details Waterproof Wingtip Oxford Shoe
After scrolling this far (thanks for hanging in there, by the way), now you know which shoes will help your heels the most if you’re dealing with plantar fasciitis.
But according to the Mayo Clinic, “Most people who have plantar fasciitis recover in several months with conservative treatment, including resting, icing the painful area and stretching.”
Which begs the question: what then?
Once you’re done with shoes that help you feel better, what shoes do you wear to help you look better?
The answer is: these ones ↓
We’ve put together a list of the eight most stylish types of men’s shoes that will help you step up your shoe game once you’re free and clear from platnar fasciitis.
Don’t Let the Other Guys Out-Dress You
Find out how to look sharp and stand out.
Enter your email address below to discover the Nine Details You Need to Nail.
I will never send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.
More Resources ↓
More Men’s Shoe Advice and Tips from Irreverent Gent:
- The 25 Best Men’s Summer Shoes
- The (Absolute) Best Shoes for No Socks
- The Most Stylish and Essential Mens Boots Styles
- The 8 Most Stylish Types of Shoes for Men
- 17 of the Best Chukka Boots for Men
- The 17 Most Essential Types of Shoes for Men
- The Most Stylish Shoes to Wear with Chinos
- The Most Comfortable Slip Ons and Loafers
- The Absolute Best Shoes (& Shoe Colors) to Wear with Khakis
- The Best Shoes for Men to Wear with Joggers
- The 9 Most Stylish & Comfortable Dress Shoes That Feel Like Sneakers
- The 9 Most Stylish Casual Boots to Wear with Jeans
- The (Absolute) Best Men’s Casual Shoes
- The Best Nursing Shoes for Men
- The (Absolute) Best Mens Fall Shoes
- The (Absolute) Best Monk Strap Shoes for Men
- The Most Stylish Shoes for Men to Wear with Jeans
- The 21 Best Shoes to Wear with Shorts
- The All-Around Best Shoes for Retail Workers
- The Absolute Best Shoes for Doctors
- The Best Basketball Shoes for Every Type of Player
- The Best Men’s White Sole Dress Shoes
- The Best Red Bottom Dress Shoes for Men
- The Best Shoes for Fat People
- The 31 Best Shoes for Walking on Concrete All Day
- The Absolute Most Comfortable Work Boots
- The Most Comfortable Golf Shoes for Walking the Course
- The Most Stylish, Comfortable & Best Shoes for Male Teachers
- The (Absolute) Best Cap Toe Oxford Dress Shoes for Men
- The Most Supportive, Comfy and All Around Best Insoles for Work Boots
- The 11 Most Comfortable Steel Toe Boots for Standing All Day
- The Best Non-Slip Shoes for Restaurant Work
2 thoughts on “The Best Men’s Shoes for Plantar Fasciitis”
Dave- thank you so much for this!! I know only a small % of your readers have plantar fasciitis, but for those who do, we really appreciate you putting this together.
My pleasure Eric! I can only imagine how painful and annoying it must be to deal with PF. Thank you for the kind words, I hope you’re doing well!