Whether writing for industry-leading blogs or locally loved community newspapers (remember those?), Irreverent Gent founder Dave Bowden has built an incredibly rewarding – and occasionally award-winning – career as a blogger, journalist and author.
In addition to hundreds of articles here on Irreverent Gent and two best-selling books available on Amazon, Dave’s advice on how to look good and live well has been featured in some of the world’s most trusted publications, including New York Magazine, The Wall Street Journal, Business Insider, Ask Men and more.
When not obsessing over style and self-improvement, he can usually be found at home spending quality time with his wonderful wife and son, indulging in a hoppy craft beer, or sobbing over the woeful state of Toronto’s sports teams.
Read Dave’s Style Story
Find out how a chance encounter with a friend’s stepdad
taught him how looking good leads to living well
(He swears it’s less creepy than it sounds, but… you be the judge)
Back when I was in college, my style left a lot to be desired.
Up until that point, I really hadn’t thought much about the way I dressed, or the way a man’s overall look can make an impression, both on his own sense of self, and on the people he encounters.
This was the early 2000s, when bands like Dashboard Confessional and Fallout Boy were at the peak of their fame, and I tended to dress like the kind of
overly emotional sad sack sensitive introvert who loved that style of shrill emo nonsense emotive pop-punk.
In the Press
As one of the web’s leading voices on all things men’s lifestyle, Dave’s insight and advice has been featured in some of the world’s top publications. (Although they usually edit out his lame jokes—much to their credit.)
New York Magazine’s The Strategist:
The Wall Street Journal’s Buy Side:
Dave’s (Many) Articles on Irreverent Gent
As the founder of Irreverent Gent, Dave’s written more than 300 articles about how to look good and live well. (Look, there was a pandemic—he didn’t get out much.)
That’s way too many to cram into one page, but here’s a small sampling of his most recent posts and articles.
- The Best Wrinkle-Free & Non-Iron Pants for Men
- The 10 Best White Sole Dress Shoes for Men
- 23 Home Furniture Stores Like Restoration Hardware for Well Made, Stylish Pieces
- 100+ Awesome & Inspiring Self-Confidence Quotes for Men
- The 15 Absolute Best Sites & Stores like Shein for Affordable Fashion
- The 21 Best Stores Like Walmart
- In Review: Indochino’s Custom Suits
- The 12 Best Athletic Fit Dress Shirts for Men
- 21 Stylish & Affordable Stores Like American Eagle
- The 10 Best Men’s Casual Boots to Wear with Jeans
- The 14 Most Essential Types of Sweaters for Men
- The 23 Best Brands & Stores Like Uniqlo
- The 31 Best Furniture Stores & Web Sites Like Wayfair
- The 25 Best Brands & Stores Like H&M for Guys
- The 19 Best Stores Like Homegoods
- The 15 Best Stores & Brands Like Zara Man for Affordable, Trendy Styles
- The Best Men’s Chukka & Desert Boots For Sharp Style & Strong Value
- This is Exactly How Your Suit Should Fit
- 33 Furniture Stores Like Crate & Barrel for Modern Home Decor
- The 5 Best Saarinen Tulip Table Replicas
- The 5 Best Womb Chair Replicas
- 17 Stores Like Best Buy for Electronics & More
- The Best Wrinkle-Free & Non-Iron Dress Shirts
- The 9 Most Comfortable Suits for Men
More About Dave ↓
If you’ve read this far – thanks for hanging in there, by the way – we might as well give you the full picture
- 2007: Dual Bachelor’s Degree in Philosophy and History, Queen’s University
- 2009: Post-graduate Journalism Diploma, Centennial College
- 2011: Briefly experimented with a goattee
- Failed to earn any credentials, but learned a lot about the consequences of making poor grooming choices
- 2010: Managing Editor of Oxygen and Clean Eating magazines
- 2012: Founding Editor of (the tragically now rebranded) Slow Road Travel Blog
- 2014: Winner of “Best Travel Blog” from Travel + Leisure magazine’s Social Media in Travel & Tourism Awards
- 2016: Quit his award-winning job at the travel blog (you’re welcome, bank account!) to pursue his passion for men’s style, founding Irreverent Gent
- 2018: Author of Man in Command: How to Go From the Most Self-Doubting Guy in the Room to The Most Confident Man
- 2020: Stop Doubting, Start Dating: A Shy Guy’s Guide To Building Confidence, Meeting Women, and (Finally!) Getting the Girl
- Present: Full-time blogger at Irreverent Gent; part-time drinker of craft beer
While helping guys learn how to look good and live well is the primary mission ofIrreverent Gent, Dave’s primary mission is to be the best husband, father that he possibly can.
A proud Canadian, Dave and his wife Michelle live in Toronto with their son Jack.
And Michelle will soon give birth to a second child, giving Jack a little brother to play with… and Dave and Michelle even less sleep than they get now.
One of the best things about blogging is that it provides a flexible schedule that allows for a lot of family time, and Dave loves nothing more than cuddling up at home to watch a movie, or taking Jack out to explore all the sights and experiences that Toronto has to offer.
When not working or spending time with his family, Dave likes to say he’s one half nerd, one half athlete.
(The truth is that it’s more like nine tenths nerd and one tenth athlete, but he’s a middle aged dad who needs a win, so just let him have this.)
On the nerd side, Dave’s credentials are pretty unimpeachable:
He’s a voracious reader who pours over as many books and magazine articles as he can get his hands on, watches more movies and TV shows than could possibly be healthy, and loves comparing the different types of hops used in craft beers.
On the athletic(ish) side, he’s a lifelong fitness buff and former fitness magazine editor who lifts weights at least three times a week, loves a good round of golf (followed by a round or two of beers) and obsesses over Toronto’s most perennially disappointing sports franchises, the Leafs and the Jays.